Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Me Me...Tuesday?

Apparently, National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week is coming up. Who knew! The things I have learned since joining the Diabetes Online Community.

Having an invisible illness often makes me think about things. What if I have a low and nobody around me knows I'm diabetic? What if I'm in a car accident and no one informs the medics of my condition? I am not one who enjoys wearing a medical ID. I don't wear a lot of jewelry in general, and if I did want to wear jewelry and had on a necklace that "clashed" i would be terribly upset. Needless to say I don't even own a medical ID at this point. I should invest, no?

I promise I have "real" posts coming later this week. I'm even working on a vlog! I am still trying to get into my new routine.

I stole this from Rachel over on wordpress who's link I found on some one's random twitter.

1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 diabetes

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 1998

3. But I had symptoms since: 1997 ish (I'm not exactly sure)

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: taking the time to test even when it is inconvenient

5. Most people assume: I can't eat whatever I want; that they are my doctor.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: High Blood Sugars!

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I hate all medical TV shows. I can't stand "medical stuff" or biology stuff. Medical stuff grosses me out.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: blood glucose meter<---absolutely 9. The hardest part about nights are: waking up at 6am having to pee from a high! Or going low 10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. One vitamin, nothing else is really for diabetes.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: haven't really gotten that far in my journey yet.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: invisible. My health is my business, and with diabetes, unless I'm having an episode, I don't have to disclose it to people or have anyone look at me funny.

13. Regarding working and career: umm, nothing has really been of an issue so far in my career, but I am really just starting that particular journey.

14. People would be surprised to know: I (almost) totally disregarded my illness and lived in denial for ten years, seldom testing, eating whatever I wanted, and only taking shots when I felt high.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: realizing that I am doing my body damage by failing to make a lifestyle change.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: I have never allowed my illness to keep me from doing anything I wanted to do. I have, however, used it as an excuse to avoid weight loss ("It's just harder for people on insulin to lose weight." I knew then and know now that that is bulls***.). I hope that one day I can answer this question, "I was scared to have children, but look at my beautiful family!"

17. The commercials about my illness: I haven't seen many that don't' involve medicare or really any geared towards treating type 1.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: mixing grape soda with cherry kool aid. See also: This list

19. It was really hard to have to give up: pasta! I love pasta so much.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Blogging

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: I always feel "normal" except when I don't. Obviously. But if I could have one day of eating anything and it not affecting my blood glucose numbers, I'd definitely have grape soda, cotton candy, and a carmel apple.

22. My illness has taught me: Taking care of my body helps my mental health too.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: ”You can’t/shouldn’t eat that!”

24. But I love it when people: don't even mention my illness and act as if needles and finger pricks are no big deal.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Here let me give you the DIABETES ONLINE COMMUNITY, use them, love them, be one of them! "one of us, one of us, one of us!"

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: it doesn't have to be your LIFE, it only has to be PART of your life.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: D (the bf, which is confusing cause most people call Diabetes D) is SO helpful when I am low. Since he has gone back to school for the semester, when I am low I get a little bit more freaked out without having someone to actually bring me sugar/monitor/etc. (I miss you!)

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I am doing my best to be a diabetes advocate and to help other PWD's know that they CAN succeed, make the lifestyle changes required to live a full, LONG, healthy life!

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: pretty special, I won't lie.


TTFN!

3 comments:

  1. I REALLY appreciate this! Loved your candid answers and am so excited to see where this new journey takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Amy, you are so sweet! I enjoy your comments a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Sarah! Thank you for sharing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

counter

free web counter