Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day to Night

I'm becoming a weekend blogger. I guess it's because I'm busy during the week now. I hope that once I get moved in at home and D (the boyfran) gets moved in at HIS school (4 hours away, gotta love those LDR's!), I'll settle into a schedule and can fit a weekday blog post in. If not, I'll stick to weekend blogging. It's cool to be different anyway.

So, for the past few months I have been "trying" to get my diabetes under control. Let's face it, I was just tired of feeling so sick all of the time!

Lately this is how the conversation between my brain and blood sugar has gone:


Body: Holy crap, I gotta pee. I have a headache and my muscles are all stiff. I must be high. What did I eat last night? *checks log* nothing after 7? and my bedtime number was 114? this is weird...

BG: yeah, well. i enjoy hanging out up here in the mornings, it's been a new past time of mine.

Well quite frankly I don't appreciate it. It makes it harder to get up in the morning and leaves me feeling groggy. Please stop!


Body: Why am I still high? I took six units of insulin!

BG: I am immune to your insulin powers! I am having a blast on the top of this ferris wheel. please just leave me alone! I enjoy tormenting your kidneys and sending you to the bathroom every ten minutes!

Body: Blargh


Body: Hey, BG, you're finally deciding to cooperate even though I ate far more carbs than I should have at lunch. Why the change of heart?

BG: oh I don't know, I was beginning to be afraid of heights. I decided to hang out down here for a while.

Body: well, ok, just please don't fall too far. I'd like to be functional this afternoon.


Body: I'm awful hungry. I think I'll have some applesauce or a granola bar.

BG: Probably a good idea, i'm feeling a little short of glucose. ¡Damelo!

Body: can't breathe, can't think, can't move.

BG: neither can i, what happened to that sugar you ate?

From there, it's a crap shoot. I'm either great for the rest of the evening and go to bed at 100, or I'm high til about 2 hours after dinner and then I once again go to bed at 100 (Usually, a work out happens after dinner). I think a work out might fix the morning highs if I got up and got one in early, BUT, that doesn't fix them happening in the middle of the night.

*sigh* Just another reason why I need a CGM and/or a pump. I'm NOT looking forward to fighting the insurance company this coming month. My most recent experience with them was, before I switched to mail order, calling them with readings far above what they should have been because my insurance was refused at the pharmacy. ($400? You've got to be kidding me! It's supposed to be $15! Followed by hours of no insulin). Dispite countless pleas from both my doctor and me to the insurance company to keep from switching to mail order, we finally gave in.

The fight for CGM and the pumpy will begin in t-minus 2 weeks. I want to be ready. Advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment


free web counter