Friday, September 18, 2009

PWD's, UNITE


D O C
Diabetes
Online
Community

"Doc" - like the dwarf?





The DOC has become an integral part of my diabetes care in just a few short months.

It all started because I was serving endless front desk shifts at my internship at George Washington Carver National Monument. A "Front Desk Shift" is where you sit at the front desk for four to eight hours at a time and greet visitors as they come inside. Luckily, during the long, boring days when there aren't many visitors (not every day, only some) you can get on the computer! YEAH!

So during those long, boring days I discovered Google Reader. Which lead me to a bundle called "Diabetes." Which lead me to Diabetes Daily, Diabetes Mine, and Six Until Me, and their plethora of excellent blogs.

This lead me to start my own diabetes blog (which you happen to be reading). Somehow I started following all these people on twitter, which lead me to other networking and informational sites like tudiabetes, diabetic rockstar, dlife, and 1happydiabetic.

It's a process. You have to battle diabetes every day. A1c's don't fall 1 percent in between two 3 month visits. It takes lots of time and lots of attention to detail. And the Diabetes Online Community provides the support I need. I know I can recieve encouragement, information, and a smack on the head from my DOC friends if I need it. I know that between the four social media sites listed above, I can find close to 20,000 resources in the form of people just like me who use their sites.

Thank you, DOC. You Rock.

PWD's, UNITE!

THANK YOU, PWDS FOR WANTING TO FIND MORE INFORMATION ON YOUR DIABETES, OR TO HELP OTHERS WITH DIABETES - YOU ROCK

THANK YOU, TO THE FOUNDERS OF MY FAVORITE DIABETES WEBSITES - I WON'T LIST YOUR NAMES, GOODNESS KNOWS I'LL GET THEM WRONG OR FORGET SOMEONE- BUT YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE - YOU ROCK

THANK YOU, AL GORE FOR INVENTING THE INTERNET- OH WAIT -

THANK YOU, INTERNET FAIRIES, FOR MAKING THE DOC POSSIBLE - YOU ROCK

NO THANKS TO YOU, DIABETES - YOU DON'T SO MUCH ROCK - BUT YOU GIVE US SOMETHING TO PUT UP WITH - A REASON TO UNITE

PWD'S, UNITE!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I am so thankful for the DOC, I found everyone the way you did and I am so glad I did. I have made some awesome friends and I have a support system now. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Jane, so glad you found the DOC relatively early in your life with diabetes. You are right. It is an invaluable source of support and encouragement.

    (We will have to meet in person some day, maybe when I drive to visit my parents at Table Rock Lake! PS: Ever eaten at Fred 'n' Reds?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I feel the same way...

    "It's a process." makes me think of "it's a journey, not a destination"

    (have to remind myself daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fwiw, i went from 11.3 to 8.0 in about 10 months. but i was in a real bad spot before i got things on track. participating in the twitter madness and starting a blog helped me immensely. i hope it does the same for you and your future family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are completely awesome!! :) It's been so much fun to watch your progress and to see how great you're doing in this little amount of time. Jada's latest A1C was 6.8 and it was worth every sleepless night to get it!! Press on, Sarah. You'll get where you want to be- just keep at it. You should be SO proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

counter

free web counter