Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Woeful Wednesday: It's Not Fair!

I have been trying to get a pump and a CGMS for about a month and a half now.

The pump is looking good. I'm hoping for an Aminas Ping (pink) and I am just waiting on them to process my financial aid application before we make the down payment (about 100 dollars, with about 50 dollars a month for 8 months after that. Not bad. Definitely manageable).

CGMS is another story.

I talked to Dexcom last week, because I wasn't sure why I hadn't heard from them yet. Turns out, despite what my insurance company may hafe told me, they were out of network. They sent me over to Edgepark Medical Supply Company, and after reassurance from my good friend Suzanne, I felt comfortable with them handling my account.

I finally talked to my Edgepark today and they gave me my total I'm responsible for: 360 dollars.

Ok, so it's not that bad, compared to the 500 I will owe on the pump. I don't like that I have to pay the entirety upfront. That scares me a little. I can't afford it, and I don't think my parents can either (they're getting ready to go to Mexico for their 25th wedding anniversary and have poured most of their spare funds into that).

I am just pissed that I have to spend so much money on things that are supposed to keep me healthy. Why? WHY? Does capitalisim want me to die?

Apparently.


Ok, so I wont' die on shots and regular testing, but statistically I won't live as long, because my a1c will statisticly be higher than someone using pump thearpy and a CGMS. It's not fair. It's not fair that the quote-unquote "rich" get to live longer just because they make more money. What about those of us who chose to do what we love in college, and therefore won't have as high of a paying job?

It's not fair. I want my CGMS. I need it. (Don't I?)

4 comments:

  1. It's not fair. Hate that you are going through this. Believe me when I say it, I Do understand. It sucks. I Hate it.

    And yes, you do Need it! (hugs)
    Hope things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the hoops we have to jump through to get the best treatment option for our diabetes. I feel you on the DexCom thing, I had to pay $1400 I didn't really have out of pocket to meet my deductible. I don't regret it but gosh it was hard paying that money. Just know that once you get past these big money speed bumps you will be OK. Then you will have to figure out what your costs for supplies will be. Hopefully you have good coverage like I do, I pay nothing for my infusion sets & sensors. My insurance changes next month so I am sure I will be livid with my costs at that point. It never ends....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's stressful right now. But I promise it will get better!!! Just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's frustrating. Definitely frustrating. I hate that money is always an issue in terms of tools for medical care.

    ReplyDelete

counter

free web counter